A good percentage of people dream of getting married some day and most of them wish it will be a once in a lifetime affair. However, irreconcilable differences and conflicts can arise in a marriage and lead one or both partners to seek divorce.
A divorce attorney specializes in family law and he/she can be hired by either partner or both of them to assist with the process. The attorney assists by giving options and solutions that will enable the couple to reach the best conclusion for the sake of their family i.e. if they have children and themselves.
Types of divorce cases
- Contested divorce: one party is not in agreement with the divorce due to various reasons.
- Uncontested divorce: both parties consent to the divorce.
What do divorce attorneys do?
- Explain the steps of the divorce process and answer all questions to prepare the clients. They also assess the case at each stage and give you honest feedback.
- Fill out divorce forms to ensure quick proceedings.
- Give advice on the best course of action depending on the case. He/she might advice you to see a counselor if the process is taking a toll on you. Clients are also advised on proper decorum for the court and what to expect when.
- Keep clients updated and ensure no legal problems arise during case proceedings.
- Negotiate and mediate to ensure a fair settlement concerning division of assets, child custody, as well as child and spousal support.
- Protect and secure your interests, which include alimony, marital properties, assets, maintenance and finances all through the process. They also help to reduce joint obligations.
- Draft agreements and other documents and handle all court or out of court proceedings.
Choosing the best attorney for your divorce
The attorney should be experienced to be able to anticipate certain actions and reactions from the other party and the judge. Hire one that specializes in family law only for maximum advantage. View testimonials from former clients and ask for referrals to gauge attorneys' credibility.
Meet the lawyer and talk to him/her about your case to establish how comfortable you are as well as your confident levels in his abilities. Always ask about the attorney's rates before hiring them to establish if you handle them.
That said legal separation processes can be draining due to the high emotions that both parties experience and it's therefore important to hire an experienced divorce lawyer who can help you deal with the process rationally.